In advance of Mayor Garcetti’s first trade mission to Mexico, the Getty House Foundation hosted a discussion on how the private sector can be a partner in expanding cross-border ties. During the Mayor’s trip the following week he announced a number of major steps in expanding cross-border ties.
- An Agreement with Mexico City to establish the Los Angeles – Mexico City International Cities Economic Alliance to develop and implement joint or coordinated initiatives in the areas of clean technology, information technology, sustainability, biomedical development, and infrastructure development.
- Panda Restaurant Group’s plan to open a total of 266 locations across Mexico.
- A partnership between California State University, Northridge, and the National Autonomous University of Mexico to establish a Center for Mexico and Latin American Studies at CSUN.
- A new scholarship for Mexican students to study law, engineering, communications, business, and architecture at USC in partnership with Bank of Mexico.
- A partnership between Esperanza Azteca and the LAUSD after-school program Beyond the Bell to establish the first U.S. location for the Esperanza Azteca Mexican youth orchestra program at a LAUSD middle school.
- An agreement between Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator and Green Momentum to establish a Global Innovation Network program.